Inclement Weather Affects Sports from All Seasons

Alex Zietlow, Reporter

The Wake County Public School System cancelled school for nine school days towards the end of February due to inclement weather.

Subsequently, teachers are in a frenzy to get their classes back on track, spring sports tryouts are pushed back two weeks, and the basketball season was extended, only for it to come to an early end.

D.H. Conley High School, the team that ended the Panther Creek’s season Saturday, February 28th, had two more practices than the rusty Catamounts due to the fact that the Pitt County School System had school Friday, February 27th.

The Catamounts came back from an 18 point deficit in the third quarter, but ended up losing the first round of the North Carolina High School State Tournament by 2 points.  But instead of making excuses on the individual game, the Catamounts focused on remembering the entire season as a whole, and looked towards a brighter future.

Looking at the disrupted spring sports schedule, Wake County was expecting to begin matches this week.  Of course, for all sports at Panther Creek, school cancellations have caused spring sports teams to not even be assembled yet.

The men’s tennis team was scheduled to play in its first match of the season Monday, March 2, against Jordan High School.  Of course due to inclement weather, a lineup has yet to be set.

Senior captain Ty Giggey shared that he is more than ready to get the season underway.

“The bad weather will affect the first few matches because of our lack of practice,” Giggey said.  “I just want to get the season started.”

Senior goalie and captain of the men’s lacrosse team, Andrew Pritko, is also ready for the beginning of the spring sports season – and most of the added anticipation can be credited to the unpredictable weather.

“It has definitely impacted the season giving us less time to prepare,” he said.  “But it has kind of built more anticipation for the games [amongst the players].”

Senior captain Sarah Oechslin of the women’s lacrosse team shared that she is interested in how her squad will react to the altered season schedule.

“The weather has made me very anxious for the season to start,” Oechslin said.  “It also has made me nervous about how our team is going to perform jumping into a game when we’ll only have one official practice together before it.”

The schedule is still to be determined for all spring sports.  Currently, the women’s varsity lacrosse team plans to open their season against Millbrook High School Thursday, March 5th.   Men’s lacrosse is not set to begin games until next week.  

There are no men’s tennis matches occurring on the week of March 2nd.