If TV Was “Better” Then, What is TV Now?

Kayla Balthazar

TV then compared to TV now

Kayla Balthazar, Reporter

Do you remember what you watched on television as a kid? When you’re asked this question, do you think back to when you were two-to-six years old or back to when you were seven-to-twelve? For the students at Panther Creek, they thought back to their childhood, remembering what teenagers and young adults  as the “90’s shows.”

The battle as to whether the 90’s compared to what is aired on TV now has the best television shows has been going on for a little over two years. It began when TV today became, “annoying and intolerable,” to people ranging in ages fourteen to twenty-six. The 90’s generation, consisting of kids who grew up in or were born in the 1990’s, shows lasted until about 2008, and in that year many of the shows were canceled or the series ended.

Social networks have been a major part in this battle since people around the world create accounts representing the 90’s shows. Many teenagers follow these accounts and tend to post pictures or quotes from their favorite shows. A Twitter page known as “Here’s to the 90s” is a popular page. It shows pictures from shows and movies that most teenagers to young adults watched when they were younger. It also shows things that they believe only 90’s kids will “understand”. Another popular Twitter page is “We Are 90s Kids.” This also shows pictures of things the 90’s kids enjoyed and lets us reminisce on old video games and certain episodes of TV shows.

PCNN reporters interviewed several students around Panther Creek and asked what shows they watched as kids. Many similarities were seen in the shows they watched. Sophomores Marina Moore, Kayla Lee, and Isabel Tenario said they watched shows such as That’s So Raven, Proud Family, Lizzie McGuire, Drake and Josh, the old Spongebob episodes, and Phil of the Future. Makenna Marti, also a sophomore, watched the same shows but included Scooby-Doo, Animaniacs, Cow & Chicken, and Invader Zim. When I asked them what shows they watched today they said So You Think You Can Dance, Teen Wolf, Walking Dead, Gossip Girl, Family Guy, World’s Dumbest, and Makenna Marti also watches Spanish Soap operas. When asked what they thought was better all of them said TV then was better. Marina said, “TV then was less corny,” in terms of what the shows were about. Kayla added, “TV then was more creative,” when it came to the style of the shows. Isabel said, “TV then was more interesting,” when it came to coming home after school and turning on the TV before doing homework. Makenna said, “It then was less shallow,” in terms of the meaning of the shows and what kids took out of it.

Juniors Doc Argawal and Will Lee said shows they watched when they were younger were Everybody Loves Raymond, Seinfeld, Tom & Jerry, Power Rangers, Rocket Power, and Rugrats. Shows they watch today are, Big Bang Theory, Sullivan & Son,  Myth Busters, and Survivor. Doc Argarwal said that, “TV  now is better because it’s more educational depending on what you watch.” Will Lee said that, “TV then is better when it comes to cartoons but TV now is better when it comes to reality shows.”

Seniors Steven Faison, Nicole Buckenham, and Chris Escobar said shows they watched when they were younger were, Doug, Legend of the Hidden Temple, Rugrats, Rocket Power, Power Rangers, That’s So Raven, old Spongebob, Ed, Edd, & Eddy, and Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. TV shows they watch today are, Awkward, Pretty Little Liars, Adventure Time, How I Met Your Mother, Teen Wolf, Breaking Bad, American Horror Story, Hard Core Pawn, and Walking Dead. Steven Faison said, “TV then was better because it wasn’t negative,”. Nicole Buckenham said, “TV then was better because it had better story lines,”. Chris Escobar brought up a good point saying, “You can’t really compare them because of the different time periods.”

In conclusion, there really is no official answer as to which generation of TV was better. It’s all opinionated and depends what the person watching TV is interested in. In my opinion, I agree with Will Lee and Chris Escobar because there are certain shows that I like today but a majority of my favorite shows are from the 90s. They are two different eras of TV and since things will always evolve, there is no stopping what’s to come in the future where kids today will say that their time had better television.

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.