Do It For the Vine

Kayla Balthazar, Reporter

Vine is the new internet sensation where people from around the world create a seven second video of anything they want. Created by Dom Hoffman, Rus Yusupov, and Colin Kroll in June of 2012, it came iOS as a free app on January 24th, 2013. It has been available for Android since June 2nd, 2013. In just a few months, it was the most-used app for sharing videos and on April 9th, 2013 it was ranked most downloaded app.

Many people have become what we teenagers call, “Vine-famous” and have gained a fan-base and made money from promoting their phrases on t-shirts. People who are YouTube-famous tend to have a Vine and gain more followers or fans from their videos on Vine. Among the Vine-famous include are King Bach, Lizzza, Brittany Furlan, KC James, SpecialK, Landon Moss and many more.

The phrase “Do it for the Vine,” comes from videos on Vine where someone says “Do it for the Vine,” or shouts it out and people break out in goofy dancing. I interviewed several students from each grade and asked them when they discovered Vine, what they thought about it, who their favorite Vine-famous person was, and what they would do for the Vine.

Freshmen Cassie Fisher, Nick Agner, Julian Marten, Miya Hargraves and Azariel Wilson said they discovered Vine during summer of 2013. Cassie, Julian, Miya, and Azariel all thought it was funny and entertaining but Julian thought it was stupid and a waste of time. Cassie said her favorite Vine-famous person is LoAnthony, Nick said his favorite is page Kennedy while Miya and Azariel both said KingBach was their favorite.

Sophomores Elexis Parkerwhite and Chase Terry both discovered Vine over the summer as well. They thought it was funny, entertaining and time-consuming. Elexis’s favorite Vine-famous person is Trey Kennedy and Chase’s is Christian Delgrosso. Juniors Mariah Boone, Adonis Adkins, and Indiya Mann discovered Vine last summer. They thought it was funny and pure humor. They all had the same Vine-famous person which is Parker Kithill. Seniors Michelle Lopez and Kenzie Stanfield discovered Vine last summer, thinking it was funny and the videos were cool. Michelle’s favorite Vine-famous person is Jerome Jarre and Kenzie’s is KC James.

I asked all the students I interviewed to “Do it for the Vine” and only a few agreed. So please enjoy the video of PCHS students “Doing it for the Vine”.