Victor’s Declassified High School Survival Guide

Victors Declassified High School Survival Guide

Victor Eduardo, Technical Manager

High school usually makes up a pretty important four years in a person’s life. No matter what kind of person you are, there are a number of things that can help you get through high school without wanting to jump off a cliff. Although don’t worry if you do, because most of us will want to at some point anyway.

1. Don’t make fun of freshmen until you’re an upperclassman. And even then, be reluctant to do so. I know it’s tempting to mock the prepubescent, backpack-wheeling, wide-eyed little insects. But chances are, if you feel the need to make fun of them, you’re probably not much more mature than them either. And you’re probably in your first week of sophomore year. Honey, you were a freshman a few months ago.
  2. Befriend your teachers. Not only are teachers usually really cool people, they can also be great sources of honest advice! You might also need recommendations from them in your senior year.
  3. Don’t make out with your significant other on campus. Too often, I see couples eating one another’s faces before and after classes. I get it, you’re happy to see each other. But is that really necessary? Should you be visibly creating Chinese handcuffs with each other’s tongues? Nobody wants to see that. How do you even manage to make out while walking? How do you not run into someone?
  4. Don’t subtweet. Better yet, don’t embarrass yourself on the internet. Nobody cares if you’re “in love” with heart-eye emojis, especially if it’s the fifteenth time you’ve felt that way this year. Nobody cares if you anonymously call someone out for throwing shade at you. If you’re not going to say who it is, it’s a meaningless rant that makes you look emotionally immature. Which brings me to my next point:
  5. Don’t gossip. People will know if you do, and not just the people you’re gossiping about. Other people will hear it and they won’t want to be around you. And yes, you do care whether or not you’re liked. So,
  6. Don’t pretend like you don’t care about how others see you. If you’re human, your social life and reputation will matter to you. Trust me, there’s research on this stuff. Undoubtedly, you’ll reach your “I hate everyone and the system is out to get me” phase, but make sure you see it for what it is: growing pains. You’re working to establish your identity, but don’t push people away because of it. Otherwise, when you realize people are actually not that bad, you’ll be angry and alone. Oh, and the opposite is true:
  7. Don’t care so much about how others see you. I completely understand: a majority of your social life is centered around the seven hours you spend in school, five days a week. Maintaining a good image is important. But you’re not going to see 90% of your peers after you graduate. It’s sad, but it’s true. So when you inevitably fall down the main staircase in the cafeteria during lunch, don’t stress too much about it.
  8. Get enough sleep. This one is the most important one. You’ll find that it’s pretty easy to skimp on sleep whether it’s for an assignment, a conversation with a cute boy or girl, or a juicy Twitter fight. This won’t be worth it in the long run, because you’ll find that the more tired you are, the more you’ll hate yourself and the world around you. You’ll start overeating, sleeping in class, zoning out during conversations, and mentally telling off strangers for looking at you a certain way. Eventually you’ll become a zombie, and high school zombie apocalypses only belong in cheesy novels and fan fiction.
  9. Read. And not just assignments and textbooks, but actual books that you’re interested in. As a high schooler in North Carolina, you only have so much access to the rest of the world. Novels will give you an enlightening experience of the world (or beyond the world, if you’re into that) for a much cheaper price than flight tickets.
  10. Be aware of your surroundings. There’s nothing worse than trying to get to your next class and having to tremendously slow down your pace because of a human social mob crawling to their next class. Also, don’t leave your eraser pieces all over your desk for the next person to clean up after you. It’s messy and inconsiderate.
  11. Think for yourself. Too many people become parrots for the values and opinions of their parents and friends. Don’t get me wrong, learning from one another is essential for a healthy mind and an effective education. But you have your own personality, interests, and opinions, too! You just have to dig them out. Could you imagine if we had the same beliefs and ideals as our predecessors did decades ago? Prejudice, flip-phones, and butter churns would still be prevalent. Creating your own understanding of the world is the most effective way to grow as a person.
  12. Be nice to people. Maybe the mob slowing down your pace doesn’t realize what they’re doing. Maybe the girl cheating on her test is afraid of what her parents might do if she doesn’t do well. Maybe the kid who’s always high is afraid of facing the world head-on. The fact is, you don’t know what other people are going through, and we’re all just trying to get on with our lives.