Lady Catamounts nominated for prestigious all-star game

Women’s soccer trio of Barnard, Everhart, and James head to the “Clash of the Carolinas” in June.

Kate Ulveling, Reporter

CARY- The top 18 male and female high school soccer players from North Carolina and South Carolina meet on Daniel Island, in Charleston, South Carolina to compete in the “Clash of the Carolinas.” Players in both states are nominated by their high school coaches and then are voted on by a panel of coaches.

Claimed to be the only sanctioned interstate High School Soccer All-Star Event in the country, Panther Creek celebrates the nominations of three senior women soccer players: Celeste Barnard (goalie), Rachael Everhart (centre-back), and Justine James (striker).

After finding out about being selected over two weeks ago, Everhart describes it as “a huge honor to be chosen out of less than 20 people in the entire state.” She adds, “it is an awesome opportunity, and I think it’s going to be really fun, and cool.”

After all the seniors of the Panther Creek’s women’s soccer team signed up, it was a pleasant surprise for not just one, but three players to be elected for this tournament.

“It is super cool to be nominated for something like this, I am very excited especially being alongside two other teammates,” Barnard said.

They will play at 1 pm on Saturday, June 27 at Blackbaud Stadium, the home of the Charleston Battery. Players will not only get to watch the Charleston Battery together afterwards, they will have time to train with their teammates and coaches beforehand, as well as celebrate the event at a banquet Friday.

“Given the opportunity to represent our state in Clash of the Carolinas means a lot to me because it’s a huge accomplishment to have three people from the same school chosen,” James said. “I am excited to not only represent North Carolina in this tournament, but Panther Creek High School.”

Barnard, Everhart, and James (along with the rest of the Panther Creek’s women’s soccer team) will play Leesville Road in the third round of the NCHSSA playoffs Wednesday, May 20.