14 Books to Read Before You Graduate in 2014

Are you prepared for Graduation Day 2014? No? Maybe these books can help!

Alex LaGrand

Some students view reading as important as breathing, while others not so much. Whether you are the former or the latter, these fourteen books can help you in the coming journey and adventure that is college.

Alex LaGrand, Editor-in-Chief

With the month of January bringing college decisions, financial aid reports, and scholarship applications, the second semester for seniors can prove to be a stressful and trying time. While many have fairly-relaxed schedules with easier course loads, the question of if the Class of 2014 is ready to advance into adulthood is ever-present. We, as seniors, have huge expectations pressed against us, in addition to exciting times coming soon enough, but do we have the value and developed character it takes? After being through years of English classes and having the pleasure of reading many incredible books, I’ve compiled a list of books that I feel represent the most of what seniors need to take away with them as they embark on the journey of college. From friendship and betrayal, to personal turmoil and adventure, each novel I include has something to offer. The ones I’ve chosen have proven to maintain an effect on me throughout the years, and I hope in turn, that they will have just the same effect on you. These are the fourteen books I personally recommend for your reading before you graduate in 2014.

1. The Town and the City by Jack Kerouac
Kerouac’s debut novel, originally published in 1950, tells the story of the Martin family in a New England mill town known as Galloway. George and Marguerite Martin, along with their five sons and three daughters, have the typical life in Galloway, yet each member of the family holds a specific philosophy on the world. Each member reveals their own philosophy through their own tale, thus telling the story of growth and understanding through life.

2. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Deemed a classic and required read by junior English classes, The Great Gatsby has proven throughout time to be sensational, with the depiction of eloquence and desire to be perfect. It tells the story of Tom and Daisy Buchanan and the imminent downfall of high society once Jay Gatsby begins to pursue Daisy after many years apart. Gatsby is the paragon of “appearances aren’t always what they seem” while painting an extravagant picture in the meantime.

3. The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
Capturing the hearts of millions – if not billions – of readers since its first book in 1997, the Harry Potter series is constantly rated as the top teen series. Popularity from the seven books has resulted in eight movies, several stage productions, video games, and even a theme park. The series tells the story of a boy named Harry Potter, who in the midst of turmoil in his orphaned life, is told he is a wizard. His discovery embarks him on a journey that changes his life forever. He is eleven when he is told of his wizarding ancestry, and his journey continues throughout teenagehood and beyond. Stephen King, famous author, called the series “a feat which only superior imagination is possible.”

4. Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick
Known more recently for its film adaptation with Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook depicts a marriage destroyed by anger, jealousy, and infidelity. Told in the perspective of Pat, a person recovering from bipolar disorder and his time in rehab, it shows his attempts to win his wife back after an episode of rage; however, throughout his attempts, he comes to terms with himself and finds new love. Silver Linings Playbook is a funny account of second chances and new starts in life.

5. Paper Towns by John Green
Published in 2008, Paper Towns debuted at number five for the New York Times Bestseller List for children’s books. It tells the story of Quentin Jacobsen and Margo Roth Spiegelman and their childhood friendship that dissolved through the years. In high school, however, they come back together after a night of adventure throughout their state of Florida. Paper Towns is a tale of rekindling true friendship after years spent apart, in addition to living above the superficial days of high school.

6. Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
First published in 1999, Perks of Being a Wallflower has remained in the hearts of readers everywhere. It tells the story of Charlie, a true introvert, entering high school for the first time. Told in the format of letters to an anonymous friend, it follows Charlie through his personal turmoil, in addition to experiences every teenager comes into contact with. It depicts his growth as a person and a friend during his freshman year, and his journey to having friendship to last for years after.

7. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Soon to be released in film, The Book Thief follows Liesel Meminger, daughter of a communist, and who is forcibly taken away and forced to live with foster parents during the Second World War in Nazi Germany. Spectacularly narrated by Death, a personified figure, it follows Liesel through her close contacts with Death, but how she manages to evade him. With adventure, tear-jerking, and book-stealing, The Book Thief has proven to be a teen classic for years to come.

[The Harry Potter series is] a feat of which only a superior imagination is capable.

— Stephen King, Author

8. Looking for Alaska by John Green
Looking for Alaska was the first hit from John Green, published in 2005. Telling the story of Miles, known as “Pudge,” it follows his journey to a boarding school in Alabama and his newfound friendship and attraction to Alaska Young, a uniquely dangerous girl with a darkened past. It follows their year full of pranks and downfalls, successes and turmoil. Looking for Alaska brought John Green to his status as a prominent young adult author, and continues to do so while touching the hearts of millions.

9. Something Borrowed & Something Blue by Emily Giffin
Originally beginning with Something Borrowed and followed by Something Blue, the two books follow the friendship, and lack thereof, between Darcy Rhone and Rachel White. Filled with comedy and heartfelt desires, the two books gives two different perspectives of the conflict that made their friendship fall apart, and eventually fall back together.

10. Suicide Notes by Michael Thomas Ford
Telling the story of Jeff, a teen who attempted suicide and was placed in a psychiatric ward, it follows his forty-five day span in the ward with the other patients and his encounters with them. He starts out believing he is placed with insane lunatics; however, that begins to change as more time is spent with each of them. With witty humor and a shocking ending, Suicide Notes is a underrated teen read waiting to be discovered.

11. Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen
Told from the point-of-view of insomniac Auden, it tells her story of dealing with her parents’ divorce and her father’s new marriage and child. Auden opts to spend the summer with them in their beachtown, hoping to finish her advanced schoolwork with goals towards prestigious colleges; however, she soon meets Eli, another insomniac, who takes her away from loneliness and teaches her that it is okay to be herself and take chances. A story of mistakes, forgiveness, and taking chances, Along for the Ride is a romantic tale bringing together two lonely hearts.

12. The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins
Famously known for its recent film adaptations of the first and second books, The Hunger Games is a trilogy telling the story of Katniss in a dystopian society. With the Capitol forcing children to battle to the death in the notorious Hunger Games, Katniss volunteers to take her sister’s place. In a story of danger, adventure, and sacrifice, The Hunger Games is the trying tale of coming-of-age while dealing with societal restrictions and choosing to do what is right rather than what is easy.

13. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
Written by S.E. Hinton while in high school, The Outsiders is a story following the rivalry between two gangs – the Greasers and the Socs, divided primarily by economic status. When Ponyboy is nearly drowned in a fountain one night by a group of Socs, Johnny is quick to defend his friend, which results in a fateful decision that changes their life forever. The Outsiders is a story that tells of the trials of teenagehood, in addition to the friendship that results in a brotherly bond.

14. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
The first novel from Afghan-American author Khaled Hosseini, The Kite Runner is an account from the life of Amir, an Afghan Pashtun boy living in Kabul, Afghanistan, prior to the Soviet intervention in the country. After witnessing a devastating event that happened to his best friend, he keeps it a secret and distances himself for years afterward. Later in life, he is forced to reconcile with his past when he is suddenly called back to Afghanistan after having begun a life in America. The Kite Runner is a novel encompassing friendship, betrayal, and reconciliation, in addition to conquering what is meant to conquer us.

Senior year is constantly known as the best time of our lives. We are about to begin our journey through life, and we are so close that we can almost taste it. While the books listed above vary from what they include, I feel each one represents a specific trait we are meant to have, a specific lesson that we are meant to walk away with, or a specific story that we are meant to take with us. Our year is almost up, but our time is coming.