#TeamNorth or #TeamSouth: Is One Truly Better than the Other?

The battle between the North and the South is lighting up again.

Kayla Balthazar

These are the understood boundaries for the North and South according to their inhabitants.

Kayla Balthazar, Reporter

People from the southern states such as North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and Florida would claim that the South is better, while people from Yankee States such as Maine, New York, Massachusetts, and Connecticut consider the South “boring” and “lacking entertainment” as  senior Kris Robinson said, thus making the North better. There is no definite or factual answer as to which area is better, but the students of Panther Creek would argue with that statement.

“I’m from New York, I moved down here in 2012 and I believe the North is better because its where I grew up,” said sophomore Isaiah Melville. “The North is a better place to live because you have more freedom and there are more things to do. Only benefit of the South is the sports.” On the other hand, senior Nubian Spann is from the South and disagreed with Melville: “I’ve been up north and although it’s exciting, I believe the South is better because there are more sports opportunities and with less people, it’s easier to get recognized for educational, musical, and athletic reasons.” With Isaiah being from the North and Nubian being from the South, these statements seem slightly biased, but they both recognize the good things about both and give valid reasons to why they prefer the area they chose.

Sophomore George Goss is also from the South and explained, “I’ve lived here my entire life and there isn’t much to do. It would easier for me to skateboard up North with all the flat land. With things being built constantly and people moving in and out, it’s hard to get around, maintain stable friends, and there aren’t many people in the same age range that live in the same place,” Nathaniel “Nate” Cryan, sophomore also from New York, disagreed and said, “The South is a better place to live because it’s warmer and there are more things to do here. I enjoy music and I find more concerts for the genres and bands I listen to down here.” He also added, “It’s more difficult living up north because it’s more crowded and the living conditions themselves are more difficult.” These quotes show that preferences don’t always match one’s home, because certain things they find interesting might not be available where they currently live.

I’ve been up north and although it’s exciting, I believe the South is better because there are more sports opportunities and with less people, it’s easier to get recognized for educational, musical, and athletic reasons.

— Nubian Spann

Isaiah and George both find the North a better place to live because it pertains more to their personality, just as Nubian and Nate find the South a better place to live because it offers more. It can be concluded that the reason as to why some prefer the South rather than the North and vice versa all depends on what one finds interesting and what their opinion is.

Whether you are from the northern states, known as “Yankee” states, or from southern states known as the “Country,” there is no definite answers as to which is better. We can all find good things and bad things about the North and the South, but based on the interviews of the students at Panther Creek, whichever you prefer all depends on the type of person you are, your interests, and your point-of-view.

Do you prefer living up north or down south?

• North (71%, 29 Votes)
  • South (15%, 6 Votes)
  • Neither is Better (15%, 6 Votes)

Total Voters: 41

Loading ... Loading ...