It’s Cold Outside, but Spring Sports are Heating Up

Katie Hollering, Reporter

Kate Ulveling

This year’s spring sports season is around the corner. Spring is the busiest time of  year for Catamount sports, with the school fielding 8 teams that compete in the SWAC conference. The women’s soccer team is returning a lot of players to their lineup this spring season. Sophomore Meredith Hamby says, “I’m looking forward to playing with the girls I don’t normally play with during club season and seeing some people I don’t normally see.”’

Another great Catamount team hoping to continue with their winning record is the men’s tennis team. “We weren’t expecting to be nearly as good as we were the year before because the conference was stronger, and we lost a few key players from the top six,” said senior Alex Zietlow, “But we were a lot closer on and off the court than we were the previous years.”

The Panther Creek teams are planning on making strides this spring season. Sophomore Rachel Hill was on the track and field team last year and she says, “I’m looking forward to hopefully qualifying for states this year”. The men’s golf team last year got second in the SWAC, fourth in regionals, and placed first in four out of eight matches. The Panther Creek women’s lacrosse coaches this year are Allison DuChon, Matthew Sonstroem, Bonnie O’Connor, and Rochelle Burden.  Last year the men’s lacrosse team went to round three of playoffs, and this year their coaches will be Steve Hanie and John Andreala. Sophomore softball player Rachel Johnson said, “we were a wild card into the playoffs last year and got paired to play the number one seed (Wake Forest) and we beat them 4-3.”. It looks like the Catamounts are ready for this spring sports season and looking forward to many state championships to come.