Cats in the Workplace

Cats in the Workplace

Justin Eisner, Reporter

Many students at Panther Creek have more than just homework to deal with after a long day of school.  With most teens living a relatively expensive lifestyle due to an enhanced social life, it is hard to keep it up by nagging their parents for money every weekend.  These teens have turned to local jobs for a source of income.  Along with earning a paycheck, students learn responsibility and independence through their jobs.  PCNN has interviewed students to get a better understanding of what factors are taken into consideration when choosing a job.

Ross Moreau

Senior Ross Moreau works at Autobell Car Wash in Durham and says, “My favorite part of the job is feeling accomplished whenever I finish cleaning a car and receive a tip.”  He also mentions that having a job close to where he lives is definitely a positive.

Being able to take a girl out on a nice date is one of the biggest perks of ‘bringing in the big bucks’.

— Stephen Howard

Cole Johnston

Cole Johnston, senior employed at Aqua-Tots in Cary, says that he enjoys where he works because of the satisfaction he gains when he successfully teaches a kid how to swim.  Satisfaction seems to be a common trend among students when choosing a place to work.

Carter Moreau

With wisdom beyond his years, sophomore Carter Moreau says,  “Earning your own paycheck allows you to do more with your friends.”  Moreau also says that it’s good to get off your parents back by not asking them for money and it also gets you prepared for college and the real world.

Stephen Howard

Senior Stephen Howard believes that being able to take a girl out on a nice date is one of the biggest perks of ‘bringing in the big bucks.’

Parents and students alike would agree that having a job can help earn invaluable skills such as money management, responsibility and the ability to interact with new people.  Professionalism and being able to work as a team are also benefits of working a part time job.  Some jobs even help out with small scholarships for college.  Having a job in high school helps set up students with a network of opportunities.