A Cat’s Nine Lives of Studying

With these nine tips for studying, students will never have to stress for that test again.

Flashcards+can+help+a+student+memorize+key+terms%2C+facts+or+formulas.+

Brian Barrett

Flashcards can help a student memorize key terms, facts or formulas.

Brian Barett, Contributor

Studying can be defined as “devoting time or attention to acquiring knowledge on an academic subject.” All students, no matter how young or how old, have had to study at some point in their lives. The Huffington post wrote a story called ” 9 Awesome Study Tips for College Students” that can also be applied to high school students and can be found here. Below are the tips they included as some of the most useful.

1. Study Groups

Study groups are small groups of friends that get together weekly, monthly, or whenever it fits into their schedule, to go over material they have learned. Study groups can quiz and teach each other different and effective ways to learn and remember information. Through these groups, students are able to grasp information better and perform well on all of their tests.

2. Flashcards

Flashcards are a simple, cheap, and creative way to remember important points and vocabulary words leading up to or right before a test. You can make flashcards with any type of paper and can organize them however you want. Flashcards can be as creative as you want, with different buzz words, sayings, or drawings that help you to remember anything you need to know.

3. Don’t Categorize Yourself

Students often call themselves a certain type of learner, instead of limiting yourself to one type of learning, try all different types and maybe you’ll be able to retain information better.

4. Sleep

Due to the “easy way out” described in number three, students tend to stay up all night in order to study every bit of information on the test. It is understood that a lack of sleep results in a lack of memory, meaning you wasted all your time studying things you won’t remember when it matters most. Before big exams, be sure to get at least seven hours or more of sleep to ensure the best academic performance.

5. Take Tests

Taking tests is something everyone hates to do but can be one of the most effective ways to study. By taking practice tests, you can learn how the questions will look or even what will be on the exam, it is the closest thing to taking the test itself.

6. Go to Class

The most simple way to study is going to class. This is the only place where you constantly go over every piece of information that will be on the test. Instead of sleeping in or skipping class, get up and go.

7. Don’t Immerse Yourself in Subject Material

Don’t study one topic over and over for extended periods of time. By switching subjects every so often, you will able to learn and remember more material.

8. Manage Your Time

Keep track of everything you have to do in order to know what to study and when to study it. Do this by keeping a planner or a journal of things you needing to get done.

9. Change Study Locations

The Huffington Post believes alternating study spaces is a great way to retain information as memory is colored by location. Studying for a major test can be as simple as changing where you study.

These nine tips will get you through some of the hardest tests you will ever have to take. Remember to take good notes and get enough sleep and you will never stress about important tests again.