Safety Behind the Wheel: Advice from PCNN

Charlotte Niersbach

DO keep safe at all times.

Charlotte Niersbach, Reporter

There has been several car accidents involving teen drivers lately, resulting in the casualties of many students. Most people feel that teen drivers are the reason why there are so many accidents making parents concerned for their new drivers. Although most of the tragedies we hear are caused by teen drivers and their lack of experience with driving, it shouldn’t give reason for teens to fear what’s on the road. Students like junior Juliana Cortex feel “scared of getting hit or someone hitting her” because of the recent tragedies that Wake County had to endure. To put students like Cortez minds at ease, PCNN staff composed a three minuet video of what teens should know while driving.

Several adolescents take precautions to make sure they don’t get into an accident senior. Krystina Scott, who has been in an accident, told us what she does to prevent getting into another accident.  “I make sure to look before I make a turn, and I always go the speed limit, and make sure to look out for other drivers are on the road.” Following these simple procedures have kept Scott from getting into another accident, and it’s also good advice for new drivers. Senior Nick Campoli, who has been in two different accidents – one that involved the other driver driving on the wrong side of the road – has learned the importance of watching out for other drivers.

According to the North Carolina Department of Safety  a teen driver is involved in car accident every 23.6 seconds. Even after several months of driving practice, when teens go from driving with an adult to driving by themselves, their crash rate increases sharply.  With all of these statistics and risks that are involved with a teen driver,  parents are not willing to let their kids drive.

During the interview, we asked Panther Creek students to give advice to future teen drivers. Scott advises future drivers to just be careful because you don’t know what the other driver will do. Cortez advises drivers to always be alert and make sure they pay attention, because you never know what will happen.

With all the accidents that have been occurring in the state, student drivers should be very careful when driving. Look both ways and if you are not sure if you can make it do not try to. Rest in peace to all of the teen drivers that have lost their lives in car accidents.