Valentine’s Day: the Origin, the Plans, the Love

Credit to McDonalds Love Commercial

Ashley Voss

Credit to McDonald’s Love Commercial

Kayla Balthazar, Student Life Editor

Valentine’s Day, a day of love and romance or for single people, a day of sorrow, blind dates, or hanging with friends. Where did this holiday originate from? According to ung.org, it originated from both Roman and Catholic background. Where the Catholic God prevented people from loving someone who wasn’t there rightful match so instead people turned to the Roman God, St. Valentine, who allowed them to elope.

For girls, this holiday either meant romance or hanging with the girls. They expect the most perfect dates or gets things for themselves. According to Cosmopolitan, the top gifts girls should get themselves include a rose scented candle, new perfume, jewelry, make-up, clothes, chocolates, lotions, and shoes. Unfortunately for some girls, they have to work. Senior Julia Justice says her plans nothing romantic, “I’m single so I’m working at Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse because I love my job!” On the other hand, junior Keira Kinney says that her and her boyfriend are going to dinner and then going to a movie.

For the guys, the holiday means taking out your girl or sitting at home eating chocolate and playing video games.  An article in Cosmopolitan says the top gifts for guys is chocolate bacon bars, grilling kit, a watch, sunglasses, some tools, and those little gag gifts. Unfortunately not all the guys have a girl that they can take out. For senior Akeem Smith said that his plans are to “sit at home eat pizza and chocolate and play video games.” But Senior Micah Thorpe said that his plans include to “take my girl out to the cheesecake factory and then go to the lake and watch the stars.” Whether its about love, food, dates, or just hanging at home, Valentine’s Day is one that all can enjoy and throughout the first two weeks of February is one of the most talked about events.

Pictures also from Cosmopolitan & other relationship advice websites

What is your favorite Valentine's Day Gift?

• Chocolate (0%, 0 Votes)
  • Flowers (0%, 0 Votes)
  • Tools (Guys) (0%, 0 Votes)
  • Jewelry (0%, 0 Votes)
  • Nothing.. I'm single =/ (0%, 0 Votes)

Total Voters: 0

Loading ... Loading ...