Marching Band

Marching+Band

Luc Endicott, Reporter

What is the hardest thing in band?
The hardest thing that most band students face are the responsibilities and the long rehearsal hours. The amount of work that overwhelms most band students may faze the average student, but not the average band student. A common problem that most students face in band is keeping in time with the rest of the band members. The field is broken up into sections and “dots” that the marching band students have to move to in time. The range between dots can be extreme; making it difficult to maintain pace with the band.

How often do you practice?
Most marching band students practice during 3rd period also on Wednesdays from 3-4 pm. The Drum Line practices after school from Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 3-4 and along with the front Ensemble.

Why did you join marching band?
“My sister influenced me to join, and from there I loved it.” -Mihir S. Senior

“I heard about marching band, and I love to play music, it just went together perfectly.” -Joel B. Sophomore

“I was originally going to play the flute, but I was invited to audition for pit, and I liked it.” -Sofia G. Sophomore

What events are you looking forward to?
B.O.A. is a major event with our marching band, known as Bands Of America. In the B.O.A., marching bands from around the United States meet up and preform in front of a panel of judges. Marching band practices for this event all year, and hope to one day take home first.

Is it difficult to go onto that field and preform?
Nathan M., Alto Sax: “It’s difficult to play your instrument and preform, but each alone is easy.”

Mihir S., Drum Major: “I’ve had three years practice, so its easier, but it is still a challenge.”

Sofia G., Front Ensemble: “Playing is easy, but the stress makes it hard.”