Is the CD Dead?

Hannah Bonet

Hannah Tarkelly, Reporter

Many old school die hard CD (Compact Disc) fans have mourned the neglection of the hand-held, shareable, and own-able pieces of treasure that represent more than just music. CD’s have made their mark in history and have paved the way for the iconic mixtape, but has their long lasting life come to an end? We take this question to the halls of PC and get students opinon on the possible extinction of the CD.

Due to digital downloads, there is a decreasing need for CD’s as technology skyrockets in the music industry. Contrary to the belief that the CD is still thriving, statistics and sales say otherwise. BBC News has found that according to the music industry, CD sales have significantly dropped in the first half of 2015 by 31.5%. Many that we interviewed stated that they have a CD player in their devices and cars but it’s use is close to nonexistent. Therefore another question arises, if CD sales are on a rapid downfall how soon will it be until companies stop including CD players in their products? Hyundai recently announced at the 2015 Electronics show that their new 2016 line of Hyundai models will not include the compact disc player. Their new Display Audio system and enhanced features that stream multimedia from smart phones may be the beginning to an end of CD players in future cars.  Even major companies such as Acer, HP, Dell, Toshiba, Apple and many more are killing the laptop optical drive to increase space and encourage a more digital world. It’s official. Technology is moving forward leaving the long-lasting CD in the past. Seven out of the eight PCHS students and faculty we interviewed claimed that the CD was dead or is dying. They were right.

Source: RIAA. This graph can also be found here