Deck the Hallways!

A look at how Panther Creek students in NHS are getting in the holiday spirit.

NHS decking the halls…with plenty of donuts!

Kate Ulving, Reporter

‘Tis the season to be jolly, and this winter at Panther Creek there is no exception. This two week holiday break off from school is a special time for our teachers and students. Not only do the books get set aside for a little while, but it’s the time of year with a huge emphasis on family. The holidays bring out vast opportunities to share with loved ones, which in return establishes an awakening to those less fortunate than us. Drinking hot cocoa and spending evenings by the fire are essential during the holidays – but the more important holiday activities, such as gathering around the dinner table and reminiscing with distant relatives, are often taken for granted.

With soldiers abroad, sacrificing their holidays to make sure we celebrate ours safely, our National Honors Society wanted to find a way to thank them. After all, we wouldn’t get the same opportunities this winter without those fighting for us overseas. An interview with the leaders of Panther Creek’s National Honor Society reveals their game-plan.

The President of National Honor Society, senior Maddie Pillar explains, “For our NHS Project we are making Christmas cards and care packages, for the soldiers, filled with little tiny things they would want to wish them happy holidays.” Their plan took action on December 16th, when over 200 students got together after school and filled boxes with trinkets like silly string, toothpaste, boxes of candy, and fuzzy socks.

NHS senior Treasurer Julia Mole elaborates saying, “Since they can’t be home with their families they still deserve something to open over the holidays.”

Karunesh Polireddy, Vice-President, describes the holiday season as, “the time of giving” followed by Historian Senior Michael Fogg who says, “Since they can’t be with their loved ones we want to show them our appreciation for serving our country.”

While we are so fortunate to have troops protecting us, it is important to not overlook the simple things this holiday season – things our soldiers’ don’t get to do, like being in the comfort of our homes surrounded by the people we love. With this in mind this holiday season, don’t forget to be thankful for what you have, show love to who you love, because after all, ‘tis the season to be jolly.